Search This Blog

Monday, October 31, 2011

Being A Green Houseguest



I recently went to Austin, Texas to visit some friends who were generous enough to host me in their beautiful home.  I was provided my own bedroom with a television, reading chaise by a window, private bathroom and to my surprise and delight, organic shampoo and conditioner, natural shower gel and a soy based scented candle!  Now, these friends know very well that I'm a natural and organic freak so I wasn't surprised, but it did remind me of the many times I've been a houseguest and had forgotten to bring my own apothecary.   What did I do?  Well, I'll tell you that in a million years I would never demand or request anyone housing me to buy natural and organic products just for me.  That would be rude and beyond demanding and I my Mama didn't raise a brat.  I can and have dealt with using whatever was on hand.  However, I just avoid the whole thing by keeping recycled 1 oz. containers full of soap, argan oil, body wash, and shampoo.  It's also very useful to keep those sample packets that you receive from cosmetic products.  Those saved my life on a trip to Belize when I was so allergic to the super perfumey soap,  (I couldn't even tolerate it being in the shower with me!).

These days (even when staying at luxury hotels or resorts, they need to get green desperately) I bring my own loot and a little extra for my hosts.  In addition to the awareness I have about the chemicals and toxins in conventional cosmetics I also suffer from allergies to many fragrances.  I'm the gal that begins to sneeze up a storm when I pass the perfume department giving dirty looks to the lady "innocently" spraying me.  Chemical fragrances really disagree with me and my skin has broken out in hives more than once while spritzing myself.  Now that I know better, I also know that I should bring my own toiletries while visiting others and staying in their homes.  It's less awkward and more eco friendly than asking for directions to the local Whole Foods to buy travel sized products. 

I have often been asked about my natural products by a curious host and have even been able to convert a few friends to clean products.  I sometimes leave the extras to those interested.  I also send a small basket of organic soaps, body wash, toothpaste and candles as a sweet thank you gift.  It's a great way to introduce the clean living philosophy without being so preachy.   

I've compiled a couple of products that you can easily buy at your local natural food and wellness store.  Perhaps the next time you are making your way to Thanksgiving at your Aunt's house in Arizona you'll remember to pack your own goodies and bring some extra for her.  She'll be likely to invite you for a long weekend again in anticipation of the gorgeous organic products you'll deliver right to her house!  AND she's your Aunt so you want her to use healthy green products that she'll love.  Right?

A colorful display of olive oil based soaps



My hostess basket favorites:



Pacifica Mediterranean Fig Soy Candle

John Masters Organic Bare Unscented Shampoo

Weleda Calendula Toothpaste

California Baby Tea Tree And Lavender Body Wash

La Bella Figura La Curacio Lip Treatment

Solay Wellness Stress Relief Bath Soak With Himalayan Salt



Post by Victoria











No comments:

Post a Comment